Dr Lalitha Badul
• The abuse of cigarettes, alcohol or drugs during this age are also major contributing factors towards bad skin.
• Eating junk foods.
• Too many chocolates, sweets, cakes or pastries.
• Not eating enough fruit and vegetables.
• Late nights studying or not getting enough sleep.
• Spending long periods of time in front of a computer e.g. during gaming.
• Squeezing pimples or blackheads can exacerbate skin problems.
Skin problems are aggravated by squeezing pimples which is a common practice among many teenagers. The reason for this is that not all of the debris is released from the opening, which causes further infection.
Squeezing actually forces some dead matter more deeply into the skin which causes bacteria to become trapped causing infection.
READ MORE : Doctor’s advice: How to take care of oily skin
The pressure of squeezing also causes a darkening or bruising of the skin due to being traumatised. Using ordinary soap aggravates skin problems because it tends to clog the skin pores and destroy the skin’s natural protective barrier called the acid mantle.